Laura Barsanti con Algae: Anatomy, Biochemistry, and Biotechnology, Second Edition
A single-source reference on the biology of algae, Algae: Anatomy, Biochemistry, and Biotechnology, Second Edition examines the most important taxa and structures for freshwater, marine, and terrestrial forms of algae. Its comprehensive coverage goes from algae's historical role through its taxonomy and ecology to its natural product possibilities.
The authors have gathered a significant amount of new material since the publication of the first edition. This completely revised second edition contains many changes and additions including the following:
- All revised and rewritten tables, plus new figures, many in color
- A fascinating new chapter: Oddities and Curiosities in the Algal World
- Expanded information on algal anatomy
- Absorption spectra from all algal divisions, chlorophylls, and accessory pigments
- Additional information on collection, storage, and preservation of algae
- Updated section on algal toxins and algal bioactive molecules
The book's unifying theme is on the important role of algae in the earth's self-regulating life support system and its function within restorative models of planetary health. It also discusses algae's biotechnological applications, including potential nutritional and pharmaceutical products. Written for students as well as researchers, teachers, and professionals in the field of phycology and applied phycology, this new full-color edition is both illuminating and inspiring.